Friday, March 10, 2006

Motorola v265 and iSync - Apple Typo

Here’s the fix for the issue where iSync stopped recognizing my Motorola v265 upon upgrade to Tiger.

Locate the following file by right-clicking the iSync application and choosing “Show Package Contents” (only do this if you are moderately technically savvy):

/Contents/PlugIns/ApplePhoneConduit.syncdevice/Contents/
PlugIns/ PhoneModelsSync.phoneplugin/
Contents/Resources/MetaClasses.plist

Open the file using a .plist editor, BBEdit, or some other text editor you are familiar with. Once you have the file open, locate the following Identification key entry:

<string>Motorola CE, Copyright 2000+Motorola V265 Phone</string>

Change the entry simply by adding “m” to “V265”:

<string>Motorola CE, Copyright 2000+Motorola V265m Phone</string>

Save and close. You should now be able to add the device in iSync. Obviously, someone made a simple typo at Apple that needs to be addressed so that it will recognize the phone as it’s supposed to do. More thorough background on how I found this fix can be seen here.

2 comments:

CntryTwist said...

I have designed a phoneplugin for my v265m, and after updating to os x 10.4.7, my phone no longer syncs. However, after chaning com.motorola.usb.0x22A8/0x2A22 to
com.motorola.usb.0x22a8/0x2a22 earlier in the list of phones, and making sure that the references to this in the phone section inerits from is the same, things work fine.

Shane Hendricks said...

Interesting. Well, I'm not familiar with that method. Everytime I upgrade though (when the upgrade affects iSync), I have to reaccomplish my hack to get my v265m to sync up. Thanks for the comments cntrytwist!